Mindful Self-Compassion (MSC) Program
A scientifically-backed 9 week online course that helps you to develop the skill of self compassion. MSC helps you respond to difficult moments and challenges in life, with greater kindness, care and compassion.
STOP beating yourself up.
EXPERIENCE the life-changing power of self-compassion.
BECOME your own best friend, finally.
This program is for you if…
- you have a harsh, mean inner critic which bullies or undermines you
- you suffer with anxiety or depression
- you are kind and compassionate to others but not to yourself
- you are tired of getting in your own way with fruitless self-criticism
- you push away, avoid, suppress or repress your emotions
- you have a hard time identifying and taking care of your needs (esp. emotional needs)
- you are ill-at-ease within yourself as a result of persistent self-judgement
- you feel overly responsible for the happiness and wellbeing of others to the detriment of yourself
What is the Mindful Self-Compassion Program?
Based on the groundbreaking research of Dr. Kristin Neff, PhD. and incorporating the clinical expertise of Christopher Germer, PhD., Mindful Self-Compassion (or MSC as it is known) combines the skills of mindfulness and self-compassion, providing powerful resources for building emotional resilience.
The purpose of this 9 week program is to cultivate the inner skill and resource of self-compassion. Developing this skill allows the participant to respond to personal challenges with greater kindness, understanding and self-acceptance so that we can soothe and comfort ourselves when struggling with life’s inevitable challenges.
Self-Compassion: the ultimate emotional self-care strategy
Virtually everyone can learn and benefit from MSC. It has been proven over time to be a powerful protective factor for many mental health conditions. Self-compassionate people tend to experience:
- less anxiety, stress and depression
- a more stable sense of self-worth than self-esteem
- less fear of failure
- less rumination and negative thinking
- better, healthier relationships
- better physical health and health-related behaviours
- better emotional coping skills including the ability to bounce back from negative moods
- fewer negative emotions like fear, irritability, hostility or distress
How Effective is Mindful Self Compassion?
The MSC has been found to significantly increase self-compassion, compassion for others, mindfulness, and life satisfaction, as well as decreased depression, anxiety and stress. These compelling results came from a randomised, controlled trial.
Improvements were linked to how much a person practised mindfulness and self-compassion in their daily lives. Since the programs inception in 2010, thousands of people all around the world have been benefiting from its teachings and experiential practices.
What will I learn?
The MSC will teach you…
- how to stop beating yourself up and instead cultivate a kinder, more supportive inner voice
- how to turn toward your inner critic, see its possible intent and motivate yourself with encouragement rather than criticism
- the difference between yin and yang self-compassion and how to cultivate them
- a range of formal and informal mindfulness and self-compassion practices to use in daily life
- how to support yourself amidst the natural struggle and suffering of life
- how to be with and manage difficult emotions more skilfully
- how to transform difficult relationships with compassion
- the theory and research behind mindful self-compassion
- how to become your own best teacher
Sarah is an accredited EMCC coach and emotional wellbeing specialist. She has been teaching and coaching people of all ages and backgrounds on themes of self-care, self-worth and confidence-building since 2015. She has a master of science in coaching psychology and applied positive psychology, a higher diploma in education and a diploma in life coaching as well as advanced training in mindfulness and self-compassion.
Jennifer Erwin is a professional life coach with expertise in serving female physicians and others who hold caregiving roles. She supports individuals in decreasing burnout and increasing well-being through an evidence based coaching model as well as through her online programs on self-compassion. She has a degree in psychology and a masters in education as well as advanced training in NVC (non-violent communication), positive psychology, mindfulness and self-compassion.
Here is what you’ll experience when you enroll
- This program consists of 8 x 3 hour sessions of self-loving content, once per week for 9 weeks, beginning October 10th, 2022.
- 1 x 3 hour retreat in which you can savour and immerse yourself in the experience of mindful self-compassion practices you have been learning
- Resources: Weekly support emails containing resources such as poems, videos, articles and audio files to help consolidate your learning
- Guided Meditations Participants will be provided with a variety of relevant meditations pertaining to session content for them to practice outside of class.
- Support: You will be welcomed by a warm, supportive, private community of engaged participants & teachers.
Dates & Times
If you’re looking for an opportunity to enhance your personal growth, wellbeing and learn valuable emotional self-care strategies which you can apply in daily life, then this might be it. This is your chance to take a meaningful step forward in your life.
There are two groups scheduled and places are limited in each group to ensure each participant receives the right amount of care and attention. Prompt registration is advised.
Mindful Self Compassion (MSC)
Start: 10 / Oct
End: 05 / Dec
Duration: 9 weeks
Time: 17.00 – 20:00 (UTC +1)
Frequently Asked Questions
I am really looking forward to starting but I’m quite shy. Will I be expected to participate?
Participants are always free to contribute as much or little as they wish. There will be opportunities for participants to share their experiences and speak up and this is always appreciated by the teachers as well as others in the group as it can provide wonderful learning opportunities for all.
I have no experience with meditation. Can I still attend?
No previous experience in either mindfulness or self-compassion is necessary so newbies are most welcome!
I suffer from depression. Is this course recommended for me?
There is no black or white answer to this as depressive symptoms can vary in severity from person to person. Please seek advice from your mental health provider on this. As general guidance, MSC is not recommended for those who are going through a particularly traumatic or difficult time as a certain amount of energy and resources are required to attend and practice. A relative period of mental stability is recommended to attend.
Is MSC a replacement for therapy?
Although MSC can have a therapeutic effect, it is never intended to be a substitute for therapy. If you have any further questions regarding the right support for you, please speak to your mental health provider.
What if I miss a session?
Ideally, we are hoping for full attendance from each participant. In the event that a class is unavoidably missed, please inform one of the teachers. Unfortunately, due to the privacy rights of the other participants, we cannot record sessions. You will, however, still receive the follow up email with an overview of content and resources pertaining to the missed session.
Can I pay in instalments?
Yes! As we do not want payment to be a barrier to taking part, you will have the option to pay in full or in two instalments spread over two months.
These dates don’t work for me, will you be running the course again soon?
The program will run again in the new year. Keep an eye on the website or sign up to the newsletter for updates.
What is your refund policy?
We regret that once classes commence, refunds are not possible.
How should I prepare for the first session?
Please ensure that you complete the application form including background info. There will be some optional reading material sent to you but you are not required to do anything in particular other than present with a pen and journal for writing notes and reflections on your sessions.
I have read through all the material but I’m still not sure if MSC is right for me. Can you help?
The teachers would be happy to schedule a call with you at your convenience to address any questions you may have. Please book your call here.
You’ll have a chance to work with some of the best teachers in the industry.
Spaces on the programs are limited so book promptly to avoid disappointment.